Prince Harry’s silence has been called into question by Jane Moore after pictures emerged of a mangled Mercedes from Princess Diana’s fatal crash were seen at Elstree Studios.
The Crown’s decision to recreate Princess Diana’s car crash in 1997 could potentially spark a fresh royal row with Prince Harry at the centre, claimed Jane Moore.
It comes as the Netflix series has come under scrutiny in recent months for depicting the lives of the current members of the Royal Family as the programme nears the present day.
Diana and Dodi Fayed died in the early hours of August 31, 1997, after the S-Class they were travelling in crashed at the Pont de l’Alma tunnel in Paris.
In pictures obtained by the Daily Mail there is a recreation of the wreckage with the front wheel of a black Mercedes buckled, the bonnet crushed and the dashboard hanging out of the obliterated front windscreen.
In October, Netflix crews in the French capital were seen reconstructing Diana’s final journey.
Other scenes shot in December depict investigators examining the wreckage.
Writing in her latest column for The Sun, Jane has called into question the Duke of Sussex’s “silence” on the matter.
She wrote: “The mangled wreckage of a black Mercedes has been spotted on the set of the sixth and final series of Netflix drama The Crown, which will cover Princess Diana’s death.
“No doubt Prince Harry – who has been very vocal about protecting his mother’s memory from exploitation – will have something to say about this dramatic rehashing of such a tragic event in his life.
“But so far? Nada.”
Jane added: “Call me an old cynic, but could this silence be in any way related to the squillion-dollar deal that he and Meghan have with the streaming giant?”
Harry and Meghan Markle reportedly signed a five-year, $100 million contract with Netflix in September 2020 to produce documentaries, docuseries, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming.
So far, the Sussexes dropped their explosive docuseries which lifted the curtain on their royal life behind the scenes.
During their candid reveal Harry spoke openly about his late mother and their relationship, admitting he “blocked out” many of their early memories.
“My mum certainly made most of her decisions, if not all of them, from her heart,” Prince Harry shared of Princess Diana. “And I am my mother’s son.”
He recalled his mom’s “cheeky laugh,” but also admitted, “I don’t really have any early memories of my mum. It’s almost like, internally I blocked them out.”
But he also said he had many early memories of cameras chasing his family and his mother’s tears.
“Rarely would we have a holiday without someone with a camera jumping out of a bush,” he said. “Within the family, the system, the advice is always ‘don’t react, don’t feed into it.’ “
Harry and Meghan also released their documentary, Live to Lead, on the streaming platform.
Meanwhile, the sixth series of The Crown will follow the royals from the late 1990s through to the early 2000s.