Prince Harry has sold a pair of handmade hunting rifles after giving up bloodsports to please his wife Meghan Markle, it has been reported.
The dad-of-one was once an avid hunter having been pictured alongside a water buffalo he had slain in 2005.
But animal-lover Meghan is said to have curtailed his interest in bloodsports – leading to the rifles, thought to be worth £50,000, to be sold in a private deal five months ago.
It was before the couple quit the UK with son Archie for Canada (they have since relocated to Los Angeles).
The pair of Purdey firearms were sold to an anonymous buyer, whose friend told The Sun: “He bought them because he wanted them, not because they belonged to Harry, but he was quite chuffed when he found out.
“They are beautiful examples and he’s very pleased with them but he’s not the sort of person who wants to boast about the royal connection.”
Speaking to the Radio Times last week, Conservationist Dr Jane Goodall said of Harry and his brother William: “They hunt and shoot. But I think Harry will stop because Meghan doesn’t like hunting.”
In December 2018, during the couple’s first Christmas together, there were rumours Prince Harry would abstain from a traditional Boxing Day hunt, which had to be dismissed by palace sources as ‘completely untrue’.
News of the sale comes a week after it was claimed Prince Harry told friends he missed the ‘camaraderie’ of life in the forces.
Harry was stripped of his military appointments when he and Meghan stepped back as senior royals on March 31.
He had to give up roles including Captain General of the Royal Marines and Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington.
The Duke of Sussex reportedly told friends he ‘cannot believe’ how his life has been ‘turned upside down’ since moving to the US.
The Sussexes are said to be eyeing up a sprawling six-bedroom home near LA’s wealthy neighbourhood of Pacific Palisades and are planning to have Meghan’s mum Doria Ragland move in with them and baby Archie.
Archie turns one today and his birthday will be ‘low-key’.
A royal source said: “It will be just the three of them. Meghan understandably refuses to take any risks with guests or travel.
“The hope had been that Archie’s first birthday would somehow be marked with some members of the Royal Family, cousins, grandparents and some godparents in the UK when they were over.”
Royal biographer Penny Junor said: “Now they are cut off from family it is hard for everybody. On the day they will no doubt make many calls to family.”