Royal News

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to be ‘more damaged’ by new book than Royal Family

Royal author Nigel Cawthorne warned if Meghan, 38, and Harry, 35, decide to return to royal duties it would take a “major effort to mend burnt bridges” with the public. He said new book Finding Freedom is “bound to be more damaging” in the UK to the Sussexes rather than the Royal Family.

But Mr Cawthorne, author of Prince Andrew, Epstein and the Palace, predicted the book could boost the Queen’s grandson and the former actress’s status as an “A-list couple” in America.

The royal expert told Express.co.uk: “In Britain the book is bound to be more damaging to Meghan and Harry’s popularity.

“Its enormous pre-publicity is a reminder to people that the couple only recently left the country, ostensibly for Canada but really for Los Angeles all along it seems.

“If they were to make a comeback in some official royal capacity it would require a major effort to mend burnt bridges with the public at large.

“In the US, on the other hand, the book is likely to cement their status as an A-list couple.”

Meghan and Harry are living in Los Angeles after bowing out of the Royal Family earlier this year in a move dubbed Megxit.

The new book by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand, serialised by the Times and the Sunday Times, has made fresh claims about tensions between the Sussexes and other royals.

Harry was angered by his older brother Prince William’s “snobbish” advice not to rush his romance with Meghan, the book claims.

And Meghan was “disappointed” when Kate did not “reach out” to her in the early days of her relationship with Harry, according to the authors.

Relations between the Sussexes and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge allegedly became so strained that the couple’s hardly spoke at the Commonwealth service at Westminster Abbey in March – Meghan and Harry’s final royal engagement.

The book also claims Meghan and Harry felt their complaints were not taken seriously and believed other royal households were leaking stories about them to the press.

The authors write: “There were just a handful of people working at the palace they could trust.

DON’T MISS
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry finance at risk ‘Stop taking money!’ [VIDEO]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘knew they never wanted to return’ [INSIGHT]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘learnt nothing’ from Diana [ANALYSIS]


“A friend of the couple’s referred to the old guard as ‘the vipers’.

“Meanwhile, a frustrated palace staffer described the Sussexes’ team as ‘the squeaky third wheel’ of the palace.”

The book claims that being told to operate under Buckingham Palace’s umbrella after splitting households with the Cambridges was “a big disappointment” to Meghan and Harry.

Before announcing plans to step back as senior royals, the Sussexes thought about breaking protocol by making a surprise visit to the Queen as they believed they were being blocked from seeing her, according to the book.

The authors claim the monarch and Prince Philip were “devastated” by Meghan and Harry’s secret Sussex Royal website that was unveiled at the same time a bombshell statement was released about their future plans in January.

A spokesman for Harry and Meghan said the couple did not contribute to Finding Freedom but did not deny the content of extracts.

The spokesman said: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to Finding Freedom.

“This book is based on the authors’ own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting.”

Ex-Suits star Meghan and Harry are living in a £15 million mega mansion owned by American actor Tyler Perry with their one-year-old son Archie after officially ending royal duties on March 31.

The couple had hoped to continue supporting the Queen while earning their own money but the plan was deemed unworkable due to fears they would be accused of cashing in on their royal status.

As part of their departure from the Royal Family, Meghan and Harry have stopped using their HRH titles and will pay back the £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money spent renovating their Windsor home Frogmore Cottage.

The arrangements are set to be reviewed in a year but questions have been raised over whether the Sussexes could return to their royal roles following the sensational claims in the book.

Source

To Top