Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Netflix megadeal could include a tribute to his mum Diana.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are said to have held discussions over the film as part of their $150million deal with the streaming giant.
If it gets the green light Prince William will be informed – but insiders fear it could fuel the brothers’ already painful rift.
A source said: “The Sussexes are discussing making a feature documentary on Princess Diana’s family history and heritage.
“It is early stages but it is looking like it could happen.
“It will work as a tribute to Diana and build on all the incredible charity work she has done. Netflix would also love to make a documentary about Diana and it is something they have been pushing for.”
But of the impact on the princes, the source added: “William and Harry have a difficult relationship and they haven’t spoken for three months.
“These plans could further antagonise their fallout. If it does happen William will be the first to know.”
Last week it emerged Netflix is set to stream a recorded stage show about the Princess of Wales – titled Diana: A New Musical. It is NOT connected to Harry and Meghan.
It details the breakdown of Charles and Diana’s marriage with swathes of vulgar dialogue. And in light of Harry’s deal there are now calls for Netflix to pull the programme.
If Harry and Meghan’s documentary goes ahead it will cover Diana’s heritage and the incredible legacy she left behind. The princess – aged 36 when she died in a Paris car crash in 1997 – helped changed the world’s perception of AIDS when she held the hand of a man suffering with HIV in 1992.
She fought for a ban on landmines and aided charities combatting drug abuse, homelessness and child poverty.
A film about the princess would reach a huge audience. Netflix has 192 million subscribers, including 12 million Brits, and netted £1.7billion profit last year.
Its top films include Birdbox and Murder Mystery, with 80million and 73million viewers apiece. And TV series Stranger Things has drawn 64million viewers.
Meghan and Harry Finding Freedom The “buckets of bitterness” over split When Queen realised something was wrong Harry ‘wanted to quit more than Meghan’ Couple “didn’t contribute” to book
Last week it emerged the Royal Family will cast a critical eye over Harry and Meghan’s deal to produce documentaries and films.
A Palace insider claimed that while they quit royal duties earlier this year with everyone’s best wishes, it was made clear future commercial deals would be “subject to discussion”.
If the Diana project goes ahead, it is believed Prince William would want to be involved. But the brothers are said to still have an ongoing feud which reportedly began in November 2018 when Harry told Wills he wasn’t doing enough to include Meghan, 39, in the Royal Family.
Last October, Harry said in a TV documentary that he and William were “on different paths”.
The remark came in ITV documentary Harry & Meghan: An African Journey. He said: “Part of this role and part of this job, and this family, being under the pressure that it’s under, inevitably, you know, stuff happens.
“But look, we’re brothers. We are on different paths but I’ll always be there for him, he’ll be there for me. I love him dearly. As brothers, you have good days, you have bad days.”
Then, two months ago, came Finding Freedom, a biography by Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand.
It was widely believed the Sussexes co-operated – though they deny that.
The book claims William, 38, warned Harry off former Suits actress Meghan, saying he needed to “take as much time as you need to get to know this girl”.
Despite everything, William is expected to reach out to Harry on his 36th birthday on September 15.
A source claimed: “The brothers haven’t spoken for months and while Harry wished Prince George a happy birthday in July, there was no contact with William.
“It’s likely the silence will be broken by William, who’s expected to reach out to Harry on his birthday.
“Harry has also told friends that he will stand beside him to unveil Diana’s statue next July.”
P RINCESS DIANA WITH TOUCHING MOTHERLY GESTURE
Harry, Meghan and one-year-old son Archie have lived in the Los Angeles area since March. In July, they bought an £11million house in Montecito, north of Malibu.
When asked about the talks and the brothers rift, a spokesman for Prince William said: “This isn’t something we would comment on.”
And a representative for Netflix added: “There is nothing to say on programming currently.”
Meghan and Harry did not respond to a request for comment.