Royal News

Prince Philip forced to accept heartbreaking ‘compromise’ with Queen -‘Doesn’t want to go’

The Duke of Edinburgh and Her Majesty travelled to the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk today for a two-week stay, before they will then return to their “HMS Bubble” at Windsor Castle. This is being described as a “compromise” for the 99-year-old Duke, who normally stays at Wood Farm in Sandringham while the Queen lives at Windsor. But there is reportedly not enough staff to split into two anti-coronavirus bubbles, so Philip will now leave behind his tranquil retirement home to spend more time with his wife of 72 years.

A source told The Sun: “Philip didn’t want to go to Balmoral and doesn’t want to go to Windsor.

“But there is not enough staff to make two bubbles so he is being made to go.

“It makes far more sense to keep them together.”

Royal master of the household Tony Johnstone-Burt issued a memo to staff back in April that explained the new “HMS Bubble”.

Staff spend one week in isolation and take a COVID-19 test, before then working in two teams of 12 on a rota.

One group works solidly for three weeks while the other has three weeks off, before they swap round.

The Queen and Prince Philip have spent the last six months following this arrangement while in lockdown.

But it appears they will now be sending more time together before returning to Sandringham for Christmas.

The Queen is also said to be planning to return to her public duties in time for Remembrance Day in November.

She was forced to take a break over the last six months due to the coronavirus pandemic sweeping the UK.

A Palace source told The Sun: “The Queen wants to be leading from the front.

“Remembrance Sunday is a hugely important day for the country and for her personally.

DON’T MISS
Prince Philip title: Has Philip always been a Prince? [REVEALED]
Queen’s Christmas plans in jeopardy if rule of six still in place [INSIGHT]
Queen heartbreak: The reason Queen will leave Philip at Sandringham [PICTURES]

“It is vital she is seen at a key event of national unity.

“She fully intends to be there.

“It is a staple in her calendar.”

Some of the other events the Queen has missed this year include Trooping the Colour, Maudy Thursday and various palace parties.

She was seen in a rare engagement to give a knighthood to Captain Sir Tom Moore.The Queen addressed the nation twice during the height of the pandemic earlier this year.

She was also briefly seen with Prince Philip in an official photograph taken for Princess Beatrice’s wedding to Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi in July.

The Palace said in a statement at the time: “The private wedding ceremony of Princess Beatrice and Mr Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi took place at 11am on Friday 17th July at The Royal

Chapel of All Saints at Royal Lodge, Windsor.

“The small ceremony was attended by The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and close family.

“The wedding took place in accordance with all relevant Government guidelines.”

Express.co.uk has contacted Buckingham Palace for a comment.

Source

To Top