Royal News

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry urged to speak out over controversial Netflix show

The Mignonnes film, which is known as Cuties in English, has sparked a furious row over the young stars being portrayed in a sexualised way. Thousands of people have taken to Twitter to vent their anger using the hashtag #CancelNetflix. More than 200,000 tweets have now been posted, but some social media users noticed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have remained silent on the matter, despite now being part of the streaming giant.

Twitter user @AngelaLMorabito said: “The Obamas and Prince Harry & Meghan have contracts with Netflix.

“If they really want to use their influence for good, they’ll tell Netflix to drop ‘Cuties’.”

@DTCahill wrote: “Silence from @Netflix employees Michelle, Barack, Megan [sic] and Harry on Cuties.”

@WhisperOfSpirit said: “Meghan & Harry have yet to speak against Netflix’s streaming of Cuties.

“To quote them: “If you’re complacent, you’re complicit.”

“If dish-soap was enough to irk Meghan, then why hasn’t this?! Come on Meghan & Harry; it’s time to “unlock action and inspire hope” We’re waiting…”

@spotterdotter also wrote: “One would expect Harry and Meghan having done their research before signing a deal with Netflix, the company who produced and aired the film “Cuties” – which is basically child pornography.

“But it seems to be all about the money with these 2. Where is Markle the feminist? Gone?”

@1ramona7 added: “Susan Rice, Obama’s, Harry & Megan….Getting cosy at Netflix but why no comment at all on #Cuties.

“Would have thought you’d feel the need to say something guys, you like to speak out so much when it suits.”

The film started streaming on September 9 and is directed by French-Senegalese director Maimouna Doucoure.

Netflix took down artwork for the film last month and apologised for “inappropriate” images.

DON’T MISS
Prince Harry heartbreak: Invictus Games ‘probably happiest role’ [REVEALED]
Meghan Markle’s confession about ‘hot Suits castmates’ exposed [INSIGHT]
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry ‘shut door’ of UK return [VIDEO]

A Netflix spokesperson said: “Cuties is a social commentary against the sexualization of young children.

“It’s an award winning film and a powerful story about the pressure young girls face on social media and from society more generally growing up, and we’d encourage anyone who cares about these important issues to watch the movie.”

But some US politicians have also reacted angrily against the film, which tells the story of Amy, an 11-year-old Parisian, who balances the strict rules of her Senegalese family and social media’s pressure and focus on appearance.

Senator Ted Cruz wrote a letter to the Department of Justice demanding a child porn investigation into the film.

He wrote: “The film routinely fetishises and sexualises these pre-adolescent girls as they perform dances simulating sexual conduct in revealing clothing including at least one scene with partial child nudity.

“These scenes in and of themselves are harmful.”

DeAnna Lorraine, a former Republican candidate for Congress from California, tweeted that “Child pornography is illegal in America”.

Beatrice Cardenas, another California Republican added: “As the mother of an 8-year old girl, I STRONGLY support #CancelNetflix.”

Meghan and Harry announced earlier this month that they will make documentaries, films, scripted and children’ programmes.

They are following in the footsteps of former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, who announced in 2018 they had entered a multi-year producing partnership with the online streaming service.

But neither couple has spoken about the controversial film.

Source

To Top