Queen Elizabeth II has been away from royal duties for a while as she self-isolated in Windsor Castle with her husband, Prince Philip, for just short of five months as the national lockdown began in March. Since then, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have managed to enjoy some of the summer holidays, travelling up to Balmoral, their Aberdeenshire estate, in August. They were visited by a number of family members, including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their three children, and the Queen’s granddaughter Princess Eugenie and her husband, Jack Brooksbank.
Fans of the Queen have been speculating about when she will return to work for months now, especially as the 94-year-old monarch falls within the ‘at risk’ category for coronavirus due to her age.
But now, it has been revealed the Queen will come back to work for one special national occasion.
Palace insiders say the monarch “fully intends” to be at the Cenotaph for Remembrance Day on November 8.
One source said: “She will be there come hell or high water.”
Her Remembrance Day Cenotaph appearance will round off a hectic schedule starting next month.
The Queen will go back to Windsor Castle later this month, with plans to commute to Buckingham Palace for special engagements.
Some of her first jobs are expected to include meetings with diplomats, envoys and Prime Minister Boris Johnson
Aides are preparing for Remembrance Sunday to be the Queen’s first public engagement since lockdown began, even though she has continued some of her work behind the scenes.
A palace source said: “The Queen wanted to be leading from the front.
“Remembrance Sunday is a hugely important day for the country and for her personally.
“It is vital she is seen at a key event of national unity. She fully intends to be there. It is a staple in her calendar.”
Remembrance Day has always been an important and significant day for Queen Elizabeth II.
Kate Middleton trick: What Kate ALWAYS brings with her on car journeys [INSIGHT]
Royal heartbreak: Meghan Markle made it clear she WON’T return to UK [ANALYSIS]
Queen heartbreak: Queen will be left out of Charles and William plan [REPORT]
Last year, she was seen wiping away a tear as she watched the proceedings from a balcony alongside the Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Cornwall.
The Queen has missed a number of important events this year due to the pandemic, including Trooping the Colour, Palace garden parties and the Highland Games.
Since being in lockdown, the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have been surrounded by a dedicated team of 24 staff members dubbed ‘HMS Bubble’ in an effort to keep the elderly couple safe.
While Prince Philip hoped to stay on at Sandringham, he has to return to Windsor with his wife as there is not enough staff to protect both of them.
Despite being married for a staggering 73 years, the Queen and her husband lead very independent lives as of late, especially since the Duke of Edinburgh officially retired in 2017.
One royal source said: “Philip did not want to go to Balmoral and doesn’t want to go to Windsor.
“But there is not enough staff to make two bubbles so he is being made to go. It makes far more sense to keep them together.”
As a compromise, the couple will stay at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate for a short holiday before departing for Windsor together at the end of the month.