Royal News

Harry and Meghan should be stripped of titles, according to two thirds of Brits

More than two thirds of Brits believe Harry and Meghan should be stripped of their royal titles, according to a new survey.

The couple quit the royal family earlier this year and moved to Canada before settling in an £11m mansion in California.

But despite walking away from their roles as royals, Harry and Meghan retained their titles as Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

They were told in no uncertain term, however, that they had to stop using their Sussex Royal branding.

Research by Tatler magazine found that of 4,174 British adults polled, 68% believe the couple should have the titles taken off them.

A majority also said they were uncomfortable with Meghan commenting on US politics ahead of the Presidential election in November.

It comes as the couple this week drew criticism for participating in a Time 100 video urging Americans to vote, which was perceived as critical of President Donald Trump –  although the Tatler survey was conducted last month.

She urged people to “reject hate speech”, but did not mention the current US President by name, or explicitly endorse his rival.

The data, collected by research consultancy Savanta Comres, showed 63% agreed Meghan, although American, should not be commenting on US politics.

And 35% concurred that the duchess “wants to be president of the United States one day”.

Harry and Meghan quit the royal family earlier this year, and have now bought their “forever home” in LA where they are settling in with son Archie.

Omid Scoobie, co-author of a new book about Sussexes, Finding Freedom, told Vanity Fair he believes it is “destiny” that Harry has finally found happiness at the age of 36.

He said: “This is a man who said he wanted to continue his mother’s work. We’ve long mourned Diana’s place on the humanitarian landscape, and here we have Harry, who embodies her values and is willing to dedicate his life to them.

“He’s at an age now where he’s taken that baton and is able to run with it in a way that he would never have been able to do within the House of Windsor. That’s very powerful and exciting.”

New accounts show the travel costs for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s tour to southern Africa reached a staggering £246,000.

It has been branded a “disgraceful abuse of public money”, but representatives have defended the expenditure.

Harry and Meghan took their baby son Archie, then four months old, to South Africa in September last year on his first royal overseas trip.

Harry then travelled solo to Angola, Malawi and Botswana.

The flights came to nearly a quarter of a million pounds and were the most expensive royal journey of 2019-2020, according to the royal financial records.

The results are contained in the November issue of Tatler, available on newsstands and via digital download next Thursday:  https://www.tatler.com/article/meghan-markle-november-2020-cover

Source

To Top