Prince Harry will not be attending next month’s Remembrance Sunday service because he is “no longer a working royal”, according to a new report.
Many thought Harry would attend the service due to his long stint in the Army, where he rose to the rank of Captain and toured Afghanistan twice.
But according to palace sources he will not be at the service, despite other members of the royal family attending.
The Queen will attend a “closed door” service before watching from a balcony of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, alongside the Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Cornwall.
Prince Charles, Princess Anne and Prince William are expected to lay poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph alongside a small number of armed forces veterans and international leaders.
But Harry and Meghan Markle are expected to be among the thousands of people not at this year’s service, which will be closed off to members of the public due to the coronavirus pandemic.
A source told The Sun: “He would be able to attend in his capacity as a former soldier who served his country well in Afghanistan.
“He won’t be able to attend in a royal capacity as he is no longer a working royal.”
The Remembrance Sunday service at the Cenotaph typically sees thousands of people line streets through Whitehall to pay their respects in memory of those who fought for the country.
This year will be the first time in the Cenotaph’s 100-year history that the traditional 11am service will be closed off to members of the public, who will instead be told to mark the event from home.
A statement from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said the service “is expected to go ahead with representatives of the royal family, the Government and the armed forces, and a small representation from the Commonwealth, other countries and territories, all laying wreaths at the Cenotaph”.
The small contingent of veterans, numbering no more than double figures, will still be invited to march past the monument, a Government source said later.
The large annual march past the memorial will not take place either, but some veterans will be invited to attend the service, which will be made “Covid-secure” by minimising attendance and ensuring strict social distancing measures are in place.
Last year, the Prince of Wales, Duke of Cambridge, Duke of Sussex, Duke of York, Earl of Wessex, Princess Royal and Duke of Kent all laid wreaths at the base of the Cenotaph, while the Queen looked on from a balcony of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, flanked by the Duchess of Cambridge and Duchess of Cornwall.
They were among an estimated 10,000 people in attendance that day.