The alleged royal ‘rift’ between the two Dukes emerged this year following Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step down as senior royals. In August, Royal biographer Omid Scobie said the Sussexes’ decision to publicly announce their departure was “where it really went wrong”, as Prince William “felt that damaged the reputation of the family”.
He added disagreements between Prince Harry and Prince William would “take some time to heal”.
Royal expert Robert Lacey has said Prince Charles is “the obvious person” to help the two brothers reconcile.
Mr Lacey is the author of Battle of Brothers, a book on the relationship between Harry and William.
He told Us Weekly that Charles “hasn’t come into the picture as we know so far”.
However, he added: “I’d rather hope that behind the scenes, Charles is at work mending the fences and building the bridges.”
The Sussexes are currently residing in California, having moved away from the UK earlier this year.
READ: Kate and William spotted filming with Kate Garraway – Duchess sends royal fans into frenzy
There has been speculation the two could return temporarily to the UK at some point this year.
One source close to the Sussexes told Harpers Bazaar the two could return in 2020 in order to self-isolate before their scheduled legal trail involving the Mail on Sunday.
They added: “Had it not been for COVID-19 and travel restrictions, they would already have been back in the UK.”
Kate and William excite royal fans as Duke and Duchess to star in ‘momentous’ new film [INSIGHT]
Prince William urged to address Prince Harry ‘rift’ in public by royal author [ANALYSIS]
Kate Middleton recycles stylish white kurta on anniversary of Pakistan tour with William [INFO]
Mr Lacey told ET Online the couple had been “committed” to returning to the UK when they left for the US in March.
He added such a visit to the UK could go some way to improving their relationship.
The royal expert said “it may well be when and if life gets back to normal, the brothers can spend more time together and these fences could be mended.”
In 2019, before the Sussexes moved to the US, Prince Harry appeared to acknowledge some tensions between him and Prince William.
Asked about the accuracy of media speculation regarding the brothers’ relationship, Harry said “the majority of the stuff is created out of nothing.”
However, he also said: “Part of this role, part of this job, this family, being under the pressure which it’s under, inevitably stuff happens.”
Prince Harry added the two will “always be brothers,” and said: “We don’t see each other as much as we used to as we are so busy. But I love him dearly.”
In September, it was revealed the Sussexes had signed a production deal with video streaming service Netflix.
Later that month, the couple denied speculation they would be taking part in a reality show for the platform.
However, the Netflix deal could see them create shows such as documentaries.