As part of the arrangement that saw Harry and Meghan Markle step back from senior Royal Family duties last year, the Duke of Sussex withdrew from his role as Captain General of the Marines. The prestigious post was never filled as it was hoped he might resume his ceremonial duties in 2021 following a 12-month review of the new arrangements.
Major General Julian Thompson, who led 3 Commando Brigade during the 1982 Falklands War, said: “I’m not trying to give him a lecture, but he has to take the job seriously and not just say ‘Well, I’m still the Captain General and I’m going to live in Los Angeles and never visit the UK’.”
“It’s wrong. You can’t do that.
“He is expected to attend events and be around and be as accessible as his grandfather was.”
Harry was given the role by the Queen in 2017, succeeding Prince Philip who had held the position for a mammoth 64 years.
He served two tours of duty in Afghanistan alongside Marines during his time holding the post.
FOLLOW EXPRESS.CO.UK FOR LIVE UPDATES:
8.58am update: Prince Harry told to ‘renounce allegiance’ to the Queen after US election move
Prince Harry may be already toying with the idea of renouncing allegiance to the Queen in order to gain the right to vote in the US, a royal expert has claimed.
The Duke of Sussex shocked many fans by wading into the world of politics – a tricky topic for members of the Royal Family to navigate due to their neutrality.
But since Harry, 36, is no longer a working member of the Firm and is settling into his new life stateside, Victoria Arbiter said his political speeches may be a warm-up for one day voting in US elections.
The royal expert pointed to Harry and Meghan’s recent video urging US citizens to exercise their right to vote in the November 3 presidential election.
If the short clip shot for TIME magazine’s TIME100 special, the Sussexes encouraged reluctant voters to have their say in the face-off between Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden.
8.38am update: Prince William and Kate Middleton issue warning to royal staff in demand for ‘discretion’
Kate Middleton and Prince William have shared an advert looking for a housekeeper who can “exercise discretion”.
The Duke and the Duchess of Cambridge are looking for someone to help with the housekeeping at Kensington Palace. They advertised the coveted position on the royal vacancies’ website specifying their retirements.
The successful applicant will also have to “be able to manage a varied workload, show initiative and be content to work flexibly”.
They must also be able to fill in the Senior Housekeeper role if necessary.
While the role is mainly based at the royal couple’s West London residence, being able to travel is listed as one of the job’s pre-conditions.
The salary for the sought after job is not specified in the advert, however, the contract is listed as permanent.
8.20am update: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry told ‘they can’t have it both ways’ after Royal Family exit
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been told “they can’t have it both ways” following their departure from the Royal Family.
During an interview with Express.co.uk Republic CEO Graham Smith criticised the Duke and Duchess of Sussex for exploiting their Royal Family titles despite stepping down from the monarchy in March 2020.
Republic is an organisation that campaigns for the abolishment of the monarchy and for Queen Elizabeth II to be replaced by a democratic, elected head of state.
Mr Smith said: “I would not suggest that anybody follows their example because they are trying to have it both ways.
“They are trying to exploit their status and titles for their own personal gain as far as I can see.
“They need to make a decision, break away from the Royal Family completely or don’t and stay with the Royal Family.
“The royals should separate themselves from the taxpayer, we don’t owe any of them a living.
“So I think they need to follow the example led by most ordinary hard-working people in this country and pay their own way through life.”
8am update: Prince Harry says ‘wow’ as UK Black Lives Matter hero corrects him during candid interview
Prince Harry has interviewed Patrick Hutchinson, the man who saved a counter-protester during one of the Black Lives Matter marches taking place in London during the summer.
The Duke of Sussex led a 40-minute long chat with Mr Hutchinson, hailed a hero after bringing Bryn Male, a counter-protester in London’s South Bank in June, to safety.
He briefly introduced Mr Hutchinson before starting his interview.
However, he was caught making a small mistake upon speaking about Mr Hutchinson’s personal life.